Friday, September 4, 2009

Radio Waves in Midtown

The crowning touch

"G.E."
Oil on canvas
30 x 24 inches


When I find a building I really like, I often paint it more than once. Perhaps from a different angle, or in the case of the old G.E. building, its reflection on a building facade on 3rd Avenue. This grandly embellished piece of architecture on the corner of 51st Street and Lexington Avenue in midtown was originally called the RCA Victor building when it went up in the '30's. The symbols and details on the crown of the building were inspired by radio waves and it is quite a site to see. I love these architectural details on the older buildings and miss seeing anything like this on many of the new structures popping up all over town. These two paintings are on view in my current exhibit through September 18.


"G.E. Reflections"
Oil on canvas
30 x 24 inches

No comments: