Friday, July 16, 2010

Metropolitan Life Reflections

A stately sentinel on 23rd Street


"Metropolitan Life Reflections"
Oil on canvas
24 x 18 inches


I've been missing working on a new reflection painting when I came upon this view of the Met Life building several weeks ago. Took a few photos and settled on this view. Just love the undulating forms and limited palette used in this painting. I've painted this building several times over the years and never get tired of this subject and as I'd never done a reflection painting, it was high time that one came off the easel. Another in the series I've been working on for the upcoming Gramcery/Flatiron show in the fall. Still have to come up with a good title though, and would welcome any ideas for a really catchy show title. I'm sharing this painting with you today because of the cool colors, blues, whites and grays. The current heat wave is getting to me and everyone else here in NYC so I hope this painting might be a refreshing change of pace.

Off to buy a new Mac computer tomorrow as mine is 6 years old and starting to falter. It's worked hard over the years and served me well, but it's time for an upgrade. My friend Sandy was visiting the studio yesterday and when she saw my monitor she told me the colors on a new screen will look much sharper and more saturated. Hadn't even thought of that. It will be interesting to see how my paintings look once I'm up and running with a fresh new system.

Keep cool everyone!

1 comment:

Rick said...

What Mac are you getting?