Monday, November 29, 2010

Long Island City at dusk

A rooftop view

"LIC Rooftop Night"
Oil on canvas
14 x 11 inches
Sold


A recently completed painting to share with you today. With all the show biz stuff happening the past few months I have been able to find time to do some painting after all. This piece was a commission for a young couple living in the neighborhood. They had seen an exhibit of my work several years ago and contacted me about a painting that had been in the show. As it had been sold we talked about doing another painting with a similar subject and I took a number of photos to show them. After some more back and forth, they decided what they really wanted was a painting of the view from their rooftop, where they spend many pleasant evenings, weather permitting. This is the painting that resulted and I'm very pleased with the result. I have been itching to paint more night scenes as there is a definite atmosphere and mood that develops with many dark colors punctuated with punches of light.

In this scene, the industrial aspect is of the "old" LIC neighborhood is portrayed with the factory building in the foreground. The eye is then drawn towards the waterfront with the newer developments that have cropped up in the past decade. Finally, the eye is drawn to the Manhattan skyline with the ever iconic Empire State Building lit up in the early evening light.

1 comment:

Joan Sommer said...

Sharon, I agree with you I like the way the evening spreads over LIC. After being drawn to the skyline I fine myself lost in the detail of that side street. Bravo