Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kids Art Rocks! And So Does Bob Dylan-Happy 70th Birthday


"LIC/P.S. 78 Wall"
Oil on canvas
6 x 6 inches


I have been invited several times by Erica, the art teacher at P.S. 78, to speak to her art class about what it is like to be a working artist, and having a studio in Long Island City. I've enjoyed my visits immensely, as the kids were really interested and had lots of good questions. They even asked me to autograph their sketch pads.

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending Erica and Mike's wedding. When I first received the invite, I decided to do this painting as a wedding gift. This wall blocks some of the construction that is currently taking place along the waterfront and is the work of kids in Erica's art classes. The skyscrapers of the east side of Manhattan loom across the river on this tranquil and pleasant area. The wedding was a blast.

On another note, I can't let the day go by without saying "Happy Birthday Bob Dylan!" I remember the day when I first heard his music. I was a kid visiting my friend when her mom came home carrying his first album. "Girls, you HAVE to listen to this!" She put the record on the turntable and a nasal voice twanged out. EEWWWW, was my first response on hearing Dylan's singing. That soon changed though, and I've been an avid listener and fan for oh so many years now. His music has always been on my turntable, on my cassette player, on my radio and on my cd's and many of the paintings you have seen posted on this blog were painted while listening to his songs. I have WAY too many favorites to list here, but one of the opening lines I really like is "...she's got everything she needs, she's an artist, she don't look back...".

No comments: