Monday, August 8, 2011

Union Square in cooler climes

Snowy thoughts on a summer's day

"Union Square Snow"
Oil on linen
14 x 11 inches


It is a hot, sultry and steamy summer's day in the baked apple so I thought I'd share this "cool" painting with you. It is a new one, recently off the easel. I was looking north from 14th Street. The iconic towers of the Met Life building and Empire State building can be seen in the distance, along with the charming 17th Street Barnes & Noble building. The dark tower on 23rd Street is new construction that has run into some trouble and is sitting vacant, its future uncertain in these uncertain times.

In the foreground is Union Square Park, decked out in inches of snowfall. Lot's of folks out enjoying the winter wonderland. I have to admit, I'd much prefer being bundled up and traipsing through a snowy park today instead of swealtering in the summer's heat and humidity. But, winter will come soon enough and then I know I'll be wishing for warmer days.

Stay cool, wherever you are.


No comments: