Thursday, October 1, 2015

Beaux Arts architectural beauty

Number 49
Oil on canvas
14x11 inches


Just finished this new painting and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Spotted this architectural detail while wandering around the Flatiron district one late afternoon. I just LOVE finding these unexpected gems. The Beaux Arts era of architecture in New York, roughly late 1880's through the 1920's is my personal favorite style of architecture. The glass boxes of today provide a facade for reflections of the older buildings, but I find so many of the new structures bland and lacking any kind of character or distinction. Some are downright ugly. The older buildings though, now they had style. I never tire of discovering these architectural delights.

1 comment:

Melissa B. Tubbs said...

I agree wholeheartedly with you. I have no desire to draw the glass boxes. They are only good for their reflections.