Monday, June 5, 2017

Orchard Street back then


Orchard Street Shoes
Oil on canvas
10x8 inches
Sold


The Long Island City Arts Open was a flurry of activity with my participation in a group exhibition, Plastique 2 and an open studio week-end. The people who stopped by were genuinely interested in my work and I did make a sale or two which is always nice.

This is one of the paintings chosen by a collector. It is one of my older New York City scenes as evidenced by the subject - an Orchard Street shoe seller, displaying his wares outside of his shop. Many of these small mom and pop shops on the Lower East Side, in what is considered to be America's first mall, are no longer around. When I was younger, I used to love going with my parents on a Sunday to the LES to have lunch and then do some shopping and take photographs. It seemed everyone was out on the street, shopkeeper's hawking their goods and always crowds of shopper's looking for bargains. No one paid retail as it was a given that there would be a little back and forth when it came to price, and it was always an experience - diverse, colorful, noisy and in retrospect, pretty wonderful.

No comments: