Thursday, August 9, 2007

Oh, those NYC subways!

First the rain, then...

#7 Flushing Line
Oil on canvas
24 x 36 in.


Being a native New Yorker, I love my city and it has provided the inspiration for my paintings. But some days, man oh man. The heavy rains yesterday brought the subway system to a grinding halt and instead of getting to my studio to paint, I spent a hot summer's day indoors with the ac and a good book. Since subways have been on my mind, I thought I'd share this painting of the old "redbirds" of the Flushing Line that were retired several years ago. They first came onboard for the 1964-65 World's Fair and are now acting as landfill somewhere. This was an unusual painting for me in that it is a diptych. While I was going through my photos, these two seemed to fit - one view is of the eastbound train, the other is heading west. This painting is currently on view at Art-O-Mat in Long Island City, a great little artists shop and gallery on Vernon Blvd. Glad the trains are back to normal today, but more rain is predicted so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: