Monday, May 4, 2009

Music and Art

Pete Seeger's 90th Hootenanny at the Garden

Photograph of the Clearwater Fundraiser at the Garden

Last night I was sitting in Madison Square Garden soaking up the good music and good vibes celebrating the grand old man of folk music, Pete Seeger, 90 years young. It was also a fundraiser for the Clearwater Revival, a worthy cause. What a great concert!

It got me to thinking about how important music is to my painting. As soon as I come into the studio the first thing I do is to turn on the radio or put a CD on. Music sets the mood of the day and is influenced by what I'm working on, the light that day and how I'm feeling. A soundtrack accompanies each and every painting I've ever done.

As an old folkie (the first album I ever bought was Joan Baez In Concert Vol. II) I was beyond thrilled to hear some of my favorite performers serenading Pete. Joan was there, and it's hard to believe that it has been 50 years since she first burst onto the music scene! What a line-up it was. Of course, one of the high points for this Springsteen fan was to hear Bruce describing Seeger's work and legacy, and then singing "The Ghost of Tom Joad".


Photograph, Bruce at the Seeger Concert

Since this is a painting blog after all, I'll share a painting with you. "Rockin' at the Garden" is a personal favorite of mine and is hanging in my home.

Having attended many memorable concerts at the Garden over the years I have to say that the Pete Seeger 90th Birthday Celebration is one that ranks right up there, it was an incredible night.


"Rockin' at the Garden"
Oil on canvas
24 x 30 inches

No comments: