Thursday, January 21, 2010

St. Mark's and 40th Street

Who's watching who?

"Carved Lady"
Oil on canvas
20 x 16 inches
Sold


One of the blogs I enjoy following is Ephemeral New York. On January 18th, a post featured a picture of a building facade on St. Mark's Place, an image I recognized immediately, as I'd painted that building back in the 1980's. This medusa-like figure, along with the fire escape shadows brings to mind the history of the block, so different from the street level retail hustle and bustle. It is exciting to discover these interesting architectural details.

"Midtown Artist"
Oil on canvas
10 x 8 inches


The other day I found myself on 40th Street with a friend when I recognized another great building facade that I had painted and I excitedly pointed it out. On the north side of 40th Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues is a building with a number of life-size figures adorning the facade. I decided to do a painting of the "artist", naturally. When walking around the city, just look up and you'll be surprised what you'll see.

No comments: