Friday, January 11, 2008

Long Island City Courthouse Observed

A new series of Long Island City Paintings

LIC Courthouse-Fountain
Oil on canvas over panel
5 x 5 inches


I've been working a new series of small-scale paintings based on places and views in Long Island City near my studio. This neighborhood is changing by leaps and bounds, with condos and luxury rentals springing up like mushrooms. Two new sushi restaurants are about to open - Starbucks won't be far behind. There goes the neighborhood. Since I've had my studio in LIC since 1980, I have mixed feelings about all the changes. But, I keep painting the neighborhood and will be having a show at the end of the year of this recent series of work. Today I share a small study of the Long Island City Courthouse - a beautiful, beaux arts building with an elegant fountain in the courtyard. Stay tuned for new paintings of LIC.

No comments: