Friday, February 1, 2008

The Majestic Sherry Netherland

A birds-eye from above

"Sherry Netherland #3"
Oil on canvas
24 x 18 inches
Sold


Wanted to post something new on February 1st, as this is my favorite month and I wanted to get it off to a good start. I stopped work for awhile on my new Long Island City series of paintings to complete this commissioned painting of the Sherry Netherland Hotel. I had done 2 small 5x7 inch paintings of this subject awhile ago - one from a photo I'd taken and another from a photo a photographer friend gave me thinking I might like the view - he was right, I did. A collector saw the paintings on my website and commissioned this larger version. Having painted this view on a small scale, I wasn't sure how it would work in a larger format, but I think it turned out pretty nicely and I'm happy with the result. Now back to work on the LIC series.

No comments: