Wednesday, September 10, 2008

9/11 seven years down the road...

Thinking about then and now

"Union Square Memorial #3"
Oil on canvas
30 x 36 inches


Thinking a lot about the events of 9/11 this week and I'm finding it hard to believe that 7 years have passed. New York is a different city today, it's a different world. Many people around the globe joined in our mourning and I did this painting with the idea of community.


Photograph taken Fall, 2007

The area where the towers once stood is a huge construction site and the latest word is that the "bathtub", the structure keeping out the river, is still leaking and building progress is slow going. Tourists continue to flock downtown to see the site where the "Twins" once stood.




"New York Harbor"
Oil on canvas
36 x 46 inches
Sold


I did this painting in 1985 and it was purchased by a company with offices in the World Trade Center. As far as I know, this painting perished along with so many other works of art that day.


Art and politics don't mix, at least for me, and I generally keep my opinions to myself. This 9/11 anniversary though, brings home the fact that it's a troubled world we're living in. This artist is an apolitical person, throwing in the towel when McGovern lost the race back in the day. These last few years though, I find I can't help but be very, very concerned and the upcoming election is bringing home how many important issues need to be addressed. A lot is riding on the outcome and I hope the candidate who wins will be the right person for the seemingly impossible job of getting us out of the mess the last eight years have put us in. I'll be casting my ballot and keeping my fingers crossed that my vote will really count this time around.

No comments: