Saturday, December 6, 2008

Reception for "L.I.Changing"

Oh what a night it was

"LIC/Ralph"
Oil on panel
6 x 6 inches


This painting is of a gentleman who lived in a building across the street from my studio. When I would take a break away from the easel and look out of the window, I would invariably see Ralph outside, puttering around his home. He's been my "neighbor" for the 28 years that I've had my studio. A few weeks ago I learned that he had passed away at a ripe old age. This was the last painting I did for the show, finishing it days before the hanging. It's strange now to look out my window and not see this familiar fellow. Time passes quicker than we know.

The opening reception for "L.I.Changing" at Art-O-Mat on Thursday night was a real blast! Lots of folks stopped by to see the work, say hello and just have a good time. A photographer from the New York Daily News was there as well, taking lots of photos of this artist and her work for an upcoming story to run in next week's paper. I've sold several paintings, some prints and books so far, and given this economy, I'm thrilled that my work is finding new homes to go to. A great start to what I hope will be a great run for this show. It was a very personal project and the fact that the work and subject matter is resonating with the audience coming to see the show is wonderful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work. I can see that you have good command on your brush.

Unknown said...

Is the painting LIC/Ralph for sale? If so how much? Ralph was my uncle and it captures much of his spirit. I grew up in that house. My mother (same age as Ralph) still lives there.
Please let me know. rviola@gmail.com Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Ralph was my father-in-law. When I saw your picture I was amazed. You captured him right down to his pointed shoes! He would have been so proud to see this picture of himself, as his family is. Thank you for the lovely memories this picture brings to mind.

Donna Papaccioli