Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Up On the Roof

A picnic al fresco

"LIC/Tar Beach"
Oil on canvas
10 x 10 inches

Walking through the snow, sleet and rain this morning, I got to thinking of warmer weather, hopefully just around the corner, and this painting came to mind. I was looking out of my studio window one day and saw several friends hanging out on their roof, having a picnic. This peaceful scene was set amid factories, smokestacks and the 59th Street Bridge in the background. I cropped the photo I had taken to really focus on the sky - hazy, soft clouds, space and light. One of the reasons I like having my studio in Long Island City is that much of the neighborhood is still low-rise and the open and ever changing sky is a real delight to the eye.

Last week-end I was at Art-O-Mat talking about the paintings in my current exhibit when a young couple stopped to chat. The woman was intrigued by this painting, and I asked her if she was one of the women in the painting. She wasn't but had lived in the neighborhood for several years and spotted her old apartment house in the foreground.

One of the great pleasures of this exhibit for me has been the conversations I've had with the folks stopping by. I've learned a lot more about the history of the area, and the personal stories and anecdotes that viewers have shared have been priceless. Several nice sales, with stories to go with each one. The exhibit is up for 2 more week-ends, closing on February 8th. Click here for more information.

No comments: