Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Crash of '29

Eerily familiar

"NYSE"
Oil on canvas
9 x 12 inches
Sold


Today marks the 80th anniversary of the stock market crash of 1929, the one that heralded in THE Great Depression. The other evening I watched a PBS program, again, about the crash that was filmed in the '90's. Way too many similarities with what happened then and what is happening now. Saw the Michael Moore film "Capitalism" recently as well. We're living in scary times and it's all too true, history repeats itself, again and again.

A few weeks ago I was down in the Wall Street area. The streets surrounding the New York Stock Exchange and Federal Hall were filled with tourists wandering around the canyons of finance snapping photos. The Exchange is draped in a huge American Flag these days and it does grab your attention.


Photo NYSE 2009

As a working artist, I've been living "on the edge" for a long time now. There is no security that comes with the job description of artist. No one is going to fire me. I paint because I love it and can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing. When the economy is struggling, artists struggle along with it. It just comes with the territory. My mantra is "one day at a time". Keep on working. Keep on exhibiting. And hopefully, keep on selling.

No comments: