Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Gramercy Tavern

Fine dining on 20th Street

"Gramercy Tavern Reflections"
Oil on canvas
24 x 18 inches


Here's a new painting that I'm really happy with. The Gramercy Tavern on 20th Street is considered one of the finest restaurants in a city jammed-packed with thousands of restaurants, one of the jewels in Danny Meyer's restaurant crown. I've had the pleasure of eating here on two special occasions, not a place I can afford to frequent on a regular basis, that's for sure.

In this painting I was taken with the construction-looking type guy lounging outside this fancy eatery, having a smoke, while the diner's inside enjoyed fabulous drinks and food. A little New York juxtaposition, a subject I enjoy. Figures are often not as prominent in my paintings as in this one, but I have to say I had a great time working on this painting, trying to get the subtlety of the skin tones just right. I spent many years studying at the Art Students League of New York painting and drawing from the model but you wouldn't know that to look at most of my work. So this painting was a nice departure for me and I'm looking forward to exhibiting it in the upcoming fall show.

1 comment:

Melissa B. Tubbs said...

This is a gorgeous painting! Your composition is wonderful. I really like the way the shadows, reflections and the "construction worker" balance the figure of the woman. I know everyone who sees it will be just as happy with it as you are. I wish that I could see it in person!