Monday, May 16, 2011

My Open Studio

LIC Arts Open May 14-22

Photo of a corner of my studio

The LIC Arts Open is well underway. I attended several events on Saturday and Sunday. Of special interest: Photographs by noted photographer Tony Vaccaro of Jackson Pollock, Lee Krasner and others (loved the b&w of a young Leonard Cohen) on view at Matted on Vernon Blvd. Stopped in to Krypton Neon LLC on 47th Avenue to see Kenny Greenberg and the neon signs and objects he restores and creates. This upcoming Sunday, Kenny will be doing demonstrations throughout the day. Also enjoyed the exhibit W&G: Heads and Grids by husband and wife team William Garrett and Beth Williams at Ten10Studios. That exhibit was a short one and will be replaced by a new photography exhibit in time for the Open Studios week-end, May 21 and 22. Also popped in to the real estate office of Modern Spaces on Vernon Blvd. to see the photo exhibit on view there.

Of course, the highlight of the week-end was attending the opening reception for the group exhibition "Made In Long Island City" where I am represented by 5 of my LIC-themed paintings. Friends and collectors stopped by and I had the opportunity to meet a number of folks who enjoyed my take on the neighborhood. Capped the evening off with a nice dinner at Manducati's restaurant, one of the older established eatery's in LIC.

Next week-end is the big one, with over 250 artists opening their studios to the public. After some thought, I've decided to open my studio on Sunday, May 22nd from 12-4pm as well. For more information on the LIC Arts Open and the open studios here is a link

No comments: