Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Up on the Roof on Fifth


"Fifth Avenue Rooftop"
Oil on canvas
8 x 10 inches


I always love the opportunity to find some great rooftop views whenever the chance arises. During an Open House New York week-end a few years ago, I found myself up on the roof of an architect's office on Fifth Avenue somewhere in the '20's. The city looks so different high up off the street and so many things can be seen that are otherwise invisible. This new painting is the result of an afternoon spent exploring on high.

Here is a view contrasting the old with the new - an ongoing theme in my work. The ornate dome in the foreground and the classical frieze on a near-by building stand against the backdrop of new, glassy and somewhat bland office and condo towers. Throw in a few water towers, a factory and some brickwork and there you have it, my kind of New York scene.

No comments: