Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Here's looking at you on 22nd Street

22nd Street Gargoyle
Oil on canvas
24x24 inches


A new painting today. This view is of one of the gargoyles flanking the sides of a building on 22nd Street. I find it so interesting that many architects of the buildings constructed during the late 1800's-early 1900's thought to embellish their facades with all manner of caryatids, architectural oddities and gargoyles. Endlessly fascinating. I never know when I am going to chance upon one and it always makes me smile. This fellow is on the side of an apartment building featuring red and gray brickwork with ornate wrought iron fire escapes.

Just next door is a beautifully converted former carriage house and a for sale sign recently appeared. Huge north light windows were added during renovations and I can't help but imagine what it might be light to set up my easel and paint by that light. I'm sure it is priced at many millions of dollars, way out of my price range.

Photo of carriage house on 22nd Street

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Both painting and commentary are terrific. Your work is aging so gracefully with you.

Love,

Cousin Robert