Sunday, February 7, 2021

Macy's Ladies

 

 

Macy's Ladies II
Oil on panel
8x8 inches
SOLD

I decided to revisit this old favorite, Macy's on Herald Square. The beautiful Beaux Arts architectural details always catch my eye and make me smile. Built in 1902, this building is a familiar sight to many during the annual Thanksgiving Day parade, but not usually from this viewpoint. 

Macy's remains my favorite place to shop as so many of the grand department stores I knew growing up have disappeared. Abraham and Strauss. B. Altman's, Klein's, Korvette's, Alexander's, Martin's, Mays, Gertz, Orbachs, just to name a few. There is something wonderful about going into a brightly lit department store and browsing the racks. Even more wonderful is finding just the right piece of clothing that fits perfectly and enjoying some amazing sales.

Back in 1979, I created this painting of the softly golden lit main floor interior. It has hung in my home ever since.


Macy's 1979
Oil on canvas
35x48 inches

With so many brick and mortar store closures, especially as the buying habits have shifted to online shopping, I remain hopeful that Macy's on 34th Street will stand proud for many years to come, continuing to offer great retail therapy excursions.





No comments: