Monday, November 19, 2007

141 Broadway

Here's yet another luxury condo conversion in NYC

"141-147"
Oil on canvas
10 x 8 inches


Yesterday I passed by this building on Broadway in the 20's that I had painted several years ago. There was the scaffolding that is seemingly surrounding so many of the older buildings these days. I noticed the "luxury condo" signage and had mixed feelings. I love the character of many of the older buildings in New York and I am so happy to see them renovated and saved as opposed to them being torn down and replaced by faceless, drab structures. However, another luxury condominium in our midst? I wonder who is buying these residences, certainly not anyone that I know, and that makes me sad. So little middle class housing is being built and that's a loss for New York. That being said, this is a beautiful building that will once again stand tall and proud on Broadway, once renovations are complete.

No comments: