Monday, November 26, 2007

Alwyn Court

Terra Cotta dreaming


"Alwyn Court"
Oil on canvas
30 x 36 inches


Today I share a new painting with you. I spent much of this past summer working on Alwyn Court, a wonderful building on the southeast corner of 58th Street and Seventh Avenue in Manhattan and it ranks of one of my all time favorite buildings. Built in the early 1900's, the intricate details on the facade are amazing and were a real challenge to paint. Having done a painting of this building in the 80's, I decided to revist it with another take and it was a joy to work on. I also spotted some interesting reflections on the windows and this painting had it all, as far as I was concerned.

"Alwyn Court" is currently on view at the National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South in the 94th Annual Exhibition of The Allied Artists of America. I was very happy to learn that it has been awarded the Dr. Clifford Wheeler Mills Memorial Award for Oil. The exhibit is open to the public through December 10th, so if you're in the neighborhood, stop in.

2 comments:

Elinore Schnurr said...

Congratulations on your award!

Elinore

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,
First, I wish to Congratulate you on your award.
What a fabulous painting... your artistic expression is wonderful and your craft is at a peak. How will you ever top "Alwyn Court". I didn't see the size given but I can imagine that it was a real challenge. Keep up the good work. Hello from Jack.
Always,
Elaine.