Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Members show at Flushing Town Hall

Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts exhibit

"Taxi Reflections"
Oil on canvas
30 x 24 inches
Sold


Hot, steamy, sticky summer's day in NYC found me schlepping a painting on the #7 train to the last stop in Flushing. I will be exhibiting a piece in the annual members show and today was the day to get the work to the gallery. After getting off the train on Main Street I walked several blocks to the Flushing Town Hall, an historic building, nicely restored and now the home of the Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts. Several years before its current state it housed a dinner theater and I attended a Peter, Paul and Mary concert there. The performers kept asking the audience, "how could anyone live in a place called Flushing?" Well, I did for several years and I found myself thinking "you can't go home again" really was true as I walked the streets of my old neighborhood. I had lived in Flushing in the 70's and early 80's and there was very little left of the neighborhood that I had known. Today, the area is a bustling, primarily Asian neighborhood, with signage, crowds, stores and buildings attesting to that fact. A lot of energy on the streets, the weather non-withstanding. Another trip down memory lane today.

The Members' Art Exhibition runs from July 17 - August 31, with an opening reception on Wednesday, July 16, 6-8pm. For more info click here

No comments: