Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Final week of "On & Off the Grid"

Winding down


This is the final week before my exhibit comes down and I've been busy meeting folks at the gallery and walking them through the show. One reason that I like this space so much are the surfaces that the paintings are displayed on. This is not your conventional white-walled box. It is instead a lobby interior with shiny white and black stone (marble), reflective columns and ceilings and bouncing lights. A dramatic use of space and a great way in which to exhibit my paintings. Today I met Priscilla, a fine sculptor that I know, and talked about my paintings with her. She had many good insights, things I hadn't noticed or considered before about certain paintings and it got me to thinking about new ways in which to descibe and title my work. Very refreshing. I managed to take a few photos of some of the columns reflecting my paintings, and here is one example.



On my way over to the gallery, I passed Bryant Park, caught up in the throes of Fashion Week in NYC. Lots of photographers out today. I passed by the crowd on the other side of the street and thought I'd give you an idea of what is going on in town right now. This painting is of a window I did several years ago, the fashions were just amazing. Not sure who would wear these creations, but they were certainly eye-catching.


"Norma's Window"
Oil on canvas
16 x 20 inches

No comments: