Monday, July 25, 2011

Storytime - recap of the show at Gallery 705



Back from the Poconos. Gallery 705 is a terrific space in which to exhibit and Ed Evans installed the work on the various walls wonderfully well. It was pretty hot up in the mountains as well as everywhere else which might account for the small reception turnout, but those who did brave the heat and come by were an interesting assortment of people.

One woman has traveled the world and had tales to tell. Another woman described herself as an "art groupie" and was friends with such artists as Robert Motherwell, Mark Rothko, Phillip Guston and others. Visitors shared their memories of New York with me, and as that is my subject matter I loved hearing their recollections. The most interesting question I was asked was by a young man who shyly came forward and asked if my paintings were always so "optimistic." I had to stop and think about that one for a minute and had to agree that they did exude a feeling of optimism. Perhaps it is because of my use of color? My subject matter? The composition? Or perhaps it was just the overall feel of the paintings. One woman said they just made her happy. I liked that young man's observation very much.



When viewing one of the restaurant paintings, one woman asked "but did I paint Pete's Tavern?" Well I surely did and brought her over to see the painting which brought back a lot of memories for her.



Thanks again to Connie and Ed Evans for hosting the reception and exhibiting my work in their gallery. A blurb and photo appeared in the Weekend section of the Pocono Record. Here's the link.

No comments: