Monday, March 3, 2014

An LIC artists hangout


Diego's Place I
Oil on canvas
12 x 9 inches
Commission


Checking in as it has been awhile. I recently finished this commissioned painting of a building in Long Island City that is home to many artists studios. When I first came to LIC, artists were spread out in individual spaces. When an Open Studios event was held, visitors would walk from studio to studio to check out the artists works and explore the neighborhood. In recent years, several large buildings have been converted to primarily studio spaces for artists, so that now floor after floor are filled with people making art. Other businesses co-exist in these buildings as well, but much of the small manufacturing enterprises that were once prevalent in the neighborhood are long gone.

As Long Island City continues its rapid redevelopment - there are projects large and small underway on the main avenues and side streets - I continue to create a painted history of the neighborhood. I've only to look out of my window to see several new buildings under construction. No end in sight.

No comments: