Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Grand Central Centennial Quilt Exhibition

The New York Transit Museum located in Grand Central Station is hosting a wonderful exhibition through July 6, 2014 - quilts celebrating Grand Central's Centennial. The City Quilter in New York and American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine organized the competition and the 30 finalist quilts on view are spectacular.


Time Flies But We Take The Train by quilter Amy Krasnansky, was the grand prize winner and it is a masterful quilt indeed.

Another favorite of mine was Ligaya Siachongco's marvelous quilt, Grand Central Terminal Mandala. Took my breath away. I had so many favorites, I just stopped counting and enjoyed each quilt as I came upon it.



I took a stab at this competition with my quilt GST II. As a fairly new quilter, I enjoyed the challenge of coming up with an idea. I used a pattern New York City Streets as a background and here is the result. After seeing the quilts on view in the exhibition, I know I have a lot to aspire to and I'm ready and eager to keep learning and honing my skills. I hope one day to be able to create quilts as stunning as the those that I saw today.

No comments: