Monday, November 28, 2011

Rooms with a view


"Studio View"
Oil on canvas
8x10 inches


In June I saw an exhibit of 19th century paintings, "Rooms With A View", depicting the scenes from artists studio windows. Some of the paintings not only included the outside view, but an interior view as well. That got me to thinking about my studio view, which I've been looking at for many years now, noting the changes through paintings. Last winter, when I glanced out of the window, I was taken with the huge plumes of steam coming from the stacks of "Big Allis", the plant that supplies steam heat to many New York households. My friend's husband works there, and when I noticed the plumes of steam I knew that he was hard at work.

Luckily, my studio view has not changed too much, in spite of the development rampant in LIC over the past ten years. I still have open sky and good light to work by. Sometimes the simple subjects are the most rewarding. Such was the case with this painting.

No comments: