Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Brentano's bookstore

Scribner's I Brentano's
Oil on canvas
24 x 30 inches
Sold


Another "gone but not forgotten" painting, this one of the old Brentano's bookstore on Fifth Avenue, located in the Scribner's building. Happily the Scribner's building still stands proudly on the Avenue, sadly, the bookstore is long gone. One of life's great pleasures, for me at any rate, is to wander into a bookstore and browse. I might buy a book or two of an author whose work I enjoy or one based on a friend's recommendation. I'm not a NOOK or Kindle person, preferring instead to hold an actual book in my hands and read it by lamplight - the old-fashioned way. Sorry to say, so many of New York's bookstores have disappeared, fallen victim to rising rents and the digital age.

No comments: